Mature Skin - Characteristics and Care
From the age of 25 the cell division of the skin starts to slow down and the first signs of skin aging become visible, often in the form of fine lines around the eyes. As we age, cell division slows down further and the skin needs more and more time to recover. The skin also produces less sebum and slows blood flow and cell activity. This reduces the skin's ability to retain moisture and remove waste.
This process is accelerated especially after the menopause because of the decrease in the hormone estrogen. The amount of collagen in the skin then decreases by 30% over a period of five years.
So when the skin becomes drier and thinner and gets more wrinkles you can speak of a mature skin. There is no fixed age indication for this, because it can vary greatly from person to person at what age aging starts. Skin condition, lifestyle and skin care all are of great influence to this process.
- Cleansing: Clean your skin in the morning and in the evening with a mild facial cleanser. All our Facial Cleansers are suitable for mature skin.
- Serum: Always use a serum before applying your face cream. A serum contains many active ingredients that effectively act on specific skin problems such as wrinkles, a lack of hydration, a pale complexion and pigmentation spots. Always allow the serum to act for at least one minute before applying your face cream. All our Face Serums are suitable for mature skin.
- Eye contour care: Always use special care for your eye contour. The skin around the eyes is thinner, more sensitive and drier than the rest of the face. There are fewer sebaceous glands and skin aging becomes visible here first. Select the eye contour care of your choice here.
- Day cream: Use a day cream every morning suitable for mature skin combined with BB Cream (SPF-30).
- Night cream: Use a night cream every night suitable for mature skin: Collagen Night Cream, Firming Night Cream, Multi-active Night Cream.
- Peeling: Scrub your skin regularly; from 30 years 1-2 times per week, from 40 years twice a week and from 50 years 3 times per week. Always use a mild peeling.
- Face mask: Use a face mask 1-2 times a week suitable for mature skin: Hyaluronic Acid Mask
- Drink enough water
- Stop smoking: smoking slows the blood flow so that waste materials are not properly removed, which causes a dull and pale complexion.
- Avoid the sun and the tanning bed.
- Do not drink or drink as little alcohol as possible, as alcohol has a drying effect.
- Make sure you get adequate sleep.
- Eat healthy, fresh and varied; eat as little sugar as possible. Sugar speeds up skin aging process.
- Avoid unnecessary stress.
- Make sure you get adequate exercise (preferably in the open air).